Frayed Fabric Flowers

Honestly, girly girl is definitely not the words I would ever use to describe myself.... until today. I was browsing the web to find out how to make flowers out of fabric. I have boughten Alexia head bands with them and they looked easy enough to try. I found some tutorials and set to work. I literally made these flowers in about 10 minutes!! I was so excited I made three more and was filled with glee when we had an opportunity to wear them that very night. Is it possible that I have a girlish side that is beginning to ooze out?! And all because of a two year old!

Here is how to make your own frayed flowers
First cut your fabric 44 inches long and 1 inch wide. (FYI- I had scrap fabric that was only 22 inches long and they still looked nice so if you have some old fabric to use up don't be afraid to alter the measurements a little.)
Begin by folding the edge and secure it with a stitch.

Then start doing a gathered stitch along the edge. For those of you who are as clueless as I am when it comes to sowing, here is a photo of what a gathered stitch looks like.

Pull the thread so the fabric gathers and bunches up.... hence, a gathered stitch!

Twist and over lap the fabric into a flower.

Hold it securely and stitch from the back to the front and continue until you feel it will hold in place.

Sow on your button.

At this point you can sow the flower onto a ponytail hair bands, your favorite shirt or a hand bag or hot glue it to a headband or hair clip.
Once you are finished here is a easy way to secure your thread. I don't know if it is the best or most current way to do it but it's how mom taught me. Slide your needle through the fabric.

Wrap the thread around the tip of the needle a few times. Use your thumb nail to hold down the thread while you pull the needle the rest of the way through. I do this a few times just to be sure.

Have fun!!

1 comment: