Teapot Birthday Cake

Want a fun cake idea for the little princess in your life? Check out this fun and easy teapot birthday cake I made for Alexia's second birthday.


I started with a round bowl like baking dish to make the pot and this fun mini bundt cake pan for the add-on's. If you don't have a bundt pan you can easily make the handle and spout out of fondant icing.



I started with making two bowl cakes and decided that I needed to add just a regular round cake to the middle to make the shape look right. You may need to do a little trimming depending on the size of your baking dishes. I use two cake batches between these three cake layers. I just used my favorite box cake mixes and you could use different cake flavors to add a little fun. I then used Betty Crocker pre-made icing to make life easy. These days, with two kids, it's all about quick and easy. The icing works great to level out any lopsided edges in the cakes.

I cut the top off the bundt shaped cake and used that as a lid for the teapot.
I then saved the circular portion to make the hand and the spout.

I covered the cake with plenty of icing. This way the fondant icing will stick and for those who don't like the taste they still could enjoy the traditional icing underneath. Just an FYI, most kids love ANY kind of icing and a few of the adult didn't mind it so fondant is not the worst thing you can serve at a party

To make the handle of the teapot I cut the circular cake in half vertically and horizontally.

I used the left over piece to make the spout, cutting it half yet again and stacking it.

Fondant icing can be very tricky so, once again, to make life easier you can buy pre-made fondant. Once I had the icing rolled out I used a small bowl to cut out an opening for the lid of the teapot. This gave definition between the lid and the rest of the pot. I now wish that I had cut some off the back because I ended up doing a lot of folding which doesn't look too smooth.

I saved some of the fondant to cover my add-on's

The fun part was using pink icing to decorate, create
and most important to hide all my mistakes! Again, using
pre-made pink icing from a tube.

I am realizing now his cake was harder to explain than is was to make so feel free to ask me questions! Happy baking :)

3 comments:

  1. Adorable!! I haven't tackled fondant yet...we'll see if I get brave enough : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/20/2011

    I'm so happy she like the tea pot. The cake is supper. Your such a good mom!

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/21/2011

    that is so cute my little girl wants a teaparty i wanted to do a teapot cake this will help me out thank you

    ReplyDelete