Last days in Moz.

In our last week of serving in Mozambique the internet was being less than cooperative so I am just going to recap on a few things. I spent some time with Alta preparing some crafts for her ladies ministry. Not only do the ladies learn to read and write in their native language, but they are also being taught life skills such as sowing, crocheting, beading, and embroidery. And let me tell you, these ladies are no amateurs. The embroidering they do could be sold for top dollar out here in the West. 
 
In May of 2007, Nat brought the Jortosh team, who specialize in children's ministry programs, to Mozambique to help with the construction of his house. Aside from entertaining the kids, speaking at churches, building a school roof, and working on Nat's house, the team also donated 6 manual (none electric) sowing machines to be given to Alta's ministry. I followed up with Alta to find out how the sowing projects were benefiting some of the ladies in her program.
I met with Louisie and Isabelle who both are without any family. All the ladies were tough to sow by Gabriel, the man of all traits, who is featured below with Nat making windows and doors. The ladies are payed to sow clothing and bags for the school children at the ASAM school. They are also aloud to use the machines to generate their own source of income. These machines will remain the property of ASAM Ministries but are used only for the gain of the locals.
Louisie and Isabelle send a worm THANK YOU to the Jortosh team for sending them these machines. The income provides food and warmth for them in the difficult living conditions of the bush. 
Some projects are used for the missions purposes such as school uniforms and book bags for the children and some are a way of teaching personal business skills. The women make things such as pillow cases, aprons and throws, all embroidered with the most beautiful designs. These are then sold to teams who wish to bring back souvenirs for their loved ones. The profit is given to the ladies so they can purchase more material to make more merchandise. 


I also had the joy of helping the orphan girls make earring for themselves and their sponsors. These earrings made out of....... get this, coca-cola caps........ will no doubt be the next fashion icon in the Mocambez area of Mozambique!
Angelina made her two pair of earrings faster than I could put the finishing clamp on the sample earring I used to teach her how they were made! 
We could tell her earring were well appreciated when Heather and I noticed Angelena dancing around in order to make the earrings bounce. 
Nat spent most of his days in his glory...... working in the wood shop with Gabriel making doors and windows for orphan homes. A few years ago Nat began teaching Gabriel the trade of wood working because he saw some potential in this local man who was hired for some temporary work on the farm only to return to find that Gabriel had far exceeded the talents he has been taught....... this man has has wood in his DNA. 

There are are two things I can't seem to escape these days, cutting hair and painting. Though I thought it would be more fun to paint Heather than the walls!
After a busy week Heather, Rick, Nat and I took a day off to head to the dam for a little fishing and sun bathing. We caught too much sun and no fish. Everyone is complementing me on my great tan. I tell them I got in one day and I had to pay a hefty price for it. I burnt myself so bad this day that I could hardly walk for two days without wincing in pain. I did find out about an interesting home remedy for a nasty sunburn. Water and vinegar! Thanks for the great advice Alta!

We docked to have some lunch and our bout driver lead us up the hill for the perfect spot with the most beautiful view.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/04/2009

    Salena, I am so glad about the woman's ministry. I am glad that they are able to generate some income for them and the families! Praise the Lord. I am glad that you are doing well and your looking FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete